In this article you’re going to learn 3 major reasons why you don’t have the physique you’ve always wanted.
Better yet, you’re going to learn exactly what you’re doing wrong and what changes you can make TODAY to achieve your ideal body.
1. You Don’t Believe in Yourself
I could delve into the nerdy science jargon discussing how weight loss research has found self efficacy to be a major determinant of success, but I’d prefer to repeatedly poke myself in the eye with a sharp fork than write something so boring.
Plain and simple, if you truly want to succeed then you need to believe that you can achieve your goals!
And I don’t mean “think” that you can achieve your goals; I mean “know” with all of your being that you can and will succeed.
I’ve worked with hundreds of individuals all across the world and from all walks of life, so trust me when I tell you…
You can do anything you believe you can, and nothing you believe you can’t.
I know it’s easier said than done but self-efficacy, like anything, can be improved with practice and targeted strategies.
To help you achieve your goals, below I’ve provided several quick tips that can dramatically improve your self-efficacy and make achieving your goals a reality – not just a possibility.
• Surround yourself with successful people. Find friends, family, and co-workers who have already done what you aim to accomplish. Their influence, knowledge, and success can help motivate you to achieve your individual goals.
• Set small and achievable goals. Success breeds success so set small, realistic goals on a consistent basis. Doing so will help you constantly progress rather than striving to achieve one massive goal, possibly failing, and ending up back at square one.
• Stop criticizing yourself. You are your toughest critic which often makes it difficult to believe in yourself. Understand that progress takes time and you are doing everything in your power to make steady, consistent, and maintainable progress.
2. Your Nutrition Isn’t Dialed In
The old adage “abs are made in the kitchen” still rings true.
I know you don’t want to hear it, and many reading this will probably disregard it, but if you pay attention and heed my advice you’ll see extraordinary results.
Your diet doesn’t need to be perfect (whatever “perfect” actually means) to get the body you’ve always wanted.
In fact, research has consistently found flexible dieters (those who aren’t overly strict or critical of their eating habits) to be more successful than rigid dieters.
That being said, it is of the utmost importance to understand what an overall “healthy” diet consists of and how to incorporate these foods and strategies into your individual lifestyle.
To help you achieve your goals, below I’ve provided 3 quick tips to get your nutrition dialed in immediately:
• Eat a minimum of 1 fistful of protein at every meal. Examples of high quality protein sources include chicken, turkey, fish, beef, pork, eggs, and greek yogurt.
• Stick to 0-Calorie Beverages. Coffee, water, tea, seltzer, diet soda, and other 0-calorie drinks are all great options. Nix the sugar-filled and calorie-dense drinks – they’re worthless.
• Quit Snacking. Eat 3-5 meals per day and quit snacking in between. Doing so will help you get & stay full while simultaneously limiting the total number of calories you eat each day.
3. You’re Doing the Wrong Exercises
Isolation exercises (movements training one muscle group at a time) like bicep curls, tricep extensions, and calf raises are generally a waste of time.
Sure, they can be useful when used sparingly, but the majority of your training should consist of multi-joint compound movements that train the entire body in one fell swoop.
Need some examples of great bang-for-your-buck exercises?
Watch the brief instructional video below for a complete tutorial on the sumo deadlift!
Not sure how to squat? Man, do I have a great resource for you. Check it out, here!
Most people have no clue how to perform a chin-up. Watch the brief video below for complete instructions!
Want to perform rows the right way? Take a gander at the brief instructional video below.
Stick to big exercises like these and you’ll gain strength, pack on muscle, and shed fat incomprehensibly faster than you ever would using even the most popular isolation exercises.
By John’s Special Guest: Jordan Syatt
Jordan Syatt is a world renowned strength training and nutritional consultant. He is an IPA World Record Powerlifter featured in publications such as Schwarzenegger.com, Muscle & Fitness, and Men’s Fitness Magazines. He is Precision Nutrition and Westside Barbell Certified, has a B.S. in Health & Behavior Science, and is the owner of www.syattfitness.com. Jordan does extensive work with online training and nutrition consultations and specializes in strength gain, athletic performance, and general health. Fitness aside, Jordan is an avid traveler, self-proclaimed nerd, and is unashamed of his obsession with the Harry Potter series.